Saturday, 24 December 2011

Revell 1/144 Harrier GR7

Box and sprue shots

And i made a start on the cockpit too.
Sorry about the blurry shot

Fusalage and wings ready for gluing together.

Then i got the wings attached and fusalage filled, sanded and polished.

Nose cone attached and filled ready for sanding tomorrow also the weapons rails attached too. I need to touch up the seat top too.

A bit more progress on the Harrier.
One hell of a fiddly canopy to mask

All ready for a coat of Vallejo white primer

Then a coat of xtracrylics Dark camo grey was sprayed on.

Then a coat of xtracrylics Dark camo grey was sprayed on.
Next step will be a bit of masking and then the dark sea grey sprayed on top.

Right i masked of the lower half just below and around the canopy and above the intakes of the plane as well as the tail and sprayed it xtracrylics dark sea grey, what a bugger it was to mask but worth it.

Well i gave it a coat of klear late last night so i could crack on with decalling today.

The decals are way out of scale annd very thick too, but with a couple of coats of microsol they settled down ok.

Right now ive got the landing gear sprayed white, just need to paint the tyres.
Anyway some progress pics

Right this little guy is about 99% finished it just needs a bit more weathering in places but that'll depend on what base I set it on.

And one to show the scale properly

I'll be back when start the base for this :thumb:

Ok i got on with finishing this today, well the base for it anyway.

I used a wooden base I got for 50p in a craft shop some years ago.

I sanded the beveled edge as good as I could and then primed it and sprayed it russian green.

This was then masked of and the top section given a coat of tamiya light grey. I then masked of the lines to give the impression of concrete sections this was then sprayed tamiya dark grey and then the lines the other way were masked and sprayed in the same way.

These lines were then lightly dusted with the light grey to fade them a little.

I then masked of the yellow strip and white lines and again using tamiya paints gave it a few coats

Using mig concrete pigment to add some fading to the "concrete" and tamiya smoke to add some oil stains added some interest to the base, I then gave it a coat of alclad matt cote to finish it off.

Not the best base for a model but I'm happy with it and it only took a couple of hours

Kit: revell
Paints used: xtracrylics, tamiya and Vallejo.
Weathering: flory models wash and mig pigments
Extras: homemade base

Thursday, 15 December 2011

Airfix 1/72 Harrier GR9

 Building this as part of a group build on a modelling forum
  • 1/72
  • Airfix
  • Harrier GR9
  • ZG506 RAF Cottlesmore
Ill be building this "new tool" airfix kit straight out if the box, itllbe in the 3 tone camo marking shown in the plans below. Ill be using xtracrylics and vallejo model colour paints, Vallejo matt varnishes and Flory models washes.
For reference ill be using Osprey Modelling book "Modelling the harrier 1 and 2" and the internet.

I also hope to depict this aircraft on a diorama base, i have a few ideas in the pipeline and will post them as and when i decide what im doing

Got the cockpit together and sprayed, it still needs touching up to finish it off, but im allowing to properly dry

The pilot mounted ready for painting. I bet that cocktail stick made him wince

Alsso out of interest the diffence between 2 airfix 1/72 pilots. The one on the right was out of a 1/72 eurofighter, the left one the supplied harrier one.

Monday, 12 December 2011

Airfix 1/72 Spitfire Mk1/2a

Got a few days till the harrier sig so these quick to build little kit should fit the bill.

Not a bad little kit for the money £6 (i think)  bit of flas here and there but nothing drastic. Fit was ok with just a bit of filler needed. One of airfixs new tools so shows thye are doing their tuff better now. Ive got alot of these new tools to buiold so hopefully they will all go together as well.

Fuselage glued together and drying

Sanded filled and polished and with the anopy masked ready for primer.

After a coat of Vallejo grey primer, ready for an attempt at preshading

Well I woke up this this morning to find an escaped mental patient had preshaded my spitfire. Might have well sprayed it all black

Xtracrylics sky was then sprayed. My first time using this paint but it went on with no dramas and I have to say I do like them
Most of the "preshading" was covered most probably for the best

Little more progress i got the xtracrylics dark earth on then masked using white tack and then applied xtracrylics dark green. It need touching up in places.

Ok it's been a while since an update on this kit as I've been busy with the harrier sig.

Managed to get it finished today at last, a nice little kit, not perfect but good for a new tool air fix although the decals were a little thick.

I softened the edge of some of the Camo as it was a little jagged in places! It also need touching up places as the masking tape had pulled a bit of paint off here and there.

She was sprayed with Coat of vallejo matt varnish then a wash of flory models dark dirt applied and then washed off, I then sprayed some exhaust and gun stains, leaving it looking used but not abused. For the aerial wire I used a piece of my girlfriends hair, it was a bit tricky to superglue in place about works well. The exhaust was sprayed using alclad gunmetal.

This is now mounted on an air fix double display stand in flight and I'll build my academy hurricane to 'fly' alongside it.

As usual and comments or critism is welcome.