A ww2 german truck with a 37mm flak gun will form the main focus to my build, this will be incorporated into a diorama including a searchlight, a full crew for the flak at rest eating and drinking, I will have the flak hunin it ready to fire state with one guy searching the skies with binos while the rest are taking it a bit easier. I plan having a small led light n the searchlight powered by a battery which should hopefully look ok when lit. All this will be on a 18" x 10" mdf base. Seting wise I'm not 100% sure of yet, either inner city or countryside, more than likely,the latter using polystyrene shaped to give an undulating uneven surface. I've yet to get my flak gun I'm going to emodels on Wednesday and will post pics as and when i have it.
I started on the search light today.
Box and spruce shots
The search light itself with the pe louves attached.
The cradle and search light completed and with a mask covering the innards Of the search light i had sprayed with alclad polished aluminium.
Primed in Vallejo dark yellow primer.
Then given light coat of tamiya xf60 dark yellow
Took the mask off and everything,inside,is fine.
On with the trailor next.
Right got the trailor buid today primed and ready for some tamiya dark yellow.
Ps,I did polish those,rough parts before priming
A searchlight like this would have been powered by a maschinensatz 85volt generator, I found this source of pics of the generator used, and set to scratch building it.
Using plastic are and some artistic licence I got to it. I used the plans from the link above
And with my iPad in front of me I could enlarge it to life size which made it easier
Materials ready to get started
I also got to use my new scale ruler, with marking for metres, cm , inches and ft it's a great tool.
Progress so far.
I got the front of the generator sorted adding doors like i did on the back only having the main control panel open, I will add the control panel itself later. I also added a crank handle (fuse wire) with holders (using round plastic tubing and some scrap pe) and also added the crank handle hole. I also added and couple of handles too. I'm happy with how it's turned out, I haven't scratch built anything for years and it think it's a reasonable representation of the generator in the links above
Some wheels from my spares box were added
This was then primed in Vallejo grey primer and then sprayed in tamiya German grey. Ive sprayed the generator I grey as I'm going to get a Krupp that would have carried this and towed the search light, I've only seen krupps in grey so not sure what colour that will be but I think the gen will be staying grey either way
The trailor has been sprayed dark yellow and the bits I missed on the light have been filled and touched up. And here's a group shot of them together, still loads to do, wiring to add etc
Ok I built up to control panel using various odds and ends I found including some old pe, some brads and a few bits plastic pipe and fuse wire. I modelled it as I saw fit as I would never get the amount of dials and switches I there as the proper one shows i then painted it and later it'll get a wash to dull the colours, plus weathering and chipping. I found a couple of prices of pe that made excellent arms to hold up the control panel door
I added the cable to the reel using the type of rubber hose you get in kits. And using some fine mesh and a 15mm fibre washer I added the vent to the other side.
I then set to lighting this baby up. I found and old novelty torch and stole the led and batteries. I drilled a 3mm hole in the base and then into the rear of the light, this positioned the light were I wantd it and also hit the wires. I have a switch for when it's in it's final position othe diorama.
It comes with a full sprue of weapons and accessories. As well as some figures which have good detail.