I started this over two years ago, but back then I wasn't impressed by jets, so it was shelved.
It was a present of my gf hanna so I thought I would get it done one day.
Having recently completed an F22 my appetite for jets has been wetted.
So here it is again.
I've tidied it up from where I was at, it's not perfect but ill make the most of it.
I've filled the seem lines with plastic putty and tidied up the pilots and primered them.
A first for me this will be a hanging model from the bat caves ceiling, haven't done that since I was a kid
It's built well so far, just at the filling and sanding stage so once past that itll fly together.
Just a quick progress iPhone pic update.
Nose cone,Wings and tail sections glued in place, and filled with some mr dissolved putty, I'll leave this till tomorrow then sand and polish it. Had a worrying moment when I could find the canopy, I had taken it out the box and stored it separately found that along with a eduard mask set I must have bought for it
Ok so the aircraft has been fully sanded, polished and rescribed. All the seams have and filler were it was needed too.
I painted the two pilots, using mr hobby paints and applied a black wash using Vallejo acrylic wash.
I removed and repainted the ejector seats, and glued them back in position with the pilots in situ. I also sprayed the cockpit edges with flat black ready for the canopy
The canopy was masked using an eduard masking set (superb) and glued in position with Krystal klear
The F4 was then given a coat of Vallejo grey primer, tomorrow I will get the wheel wells painted and the plane preshaded.
The underneath has been sprayed in mr hobby 316 and the top in 315, one thing I will say about the mr hobby (non flat) whites and light greys is it takes loads of paint to get good coverage, there's 4 coats on that, nearly half a bottle of grey, and i reckon it needs,one more. Wish i hadnt done the preshading so dark now.
More progress over the last couple of days, I've masked up and sprayed the white wing and tail sections as well the edge of the wing tips and nose in black. I've then masked up the tricky tail for the silver and steel exhaust protection. The exhaust nozzles were also sprayed in mr hobby buffable stainless steel and then given a light coat of alclad jet exhaust. I managed to get a bit of overspray on the right wing and sods law when I went over it again with the FS grey its gone down darker, ah well it can be a ground crew respray on that section
Enjoying my first ever 1/48 jet
Got the steel panels sprayed on the tail and the silver in front of the engine nozzles.
Having a break from decaling, this is all the big decals on, just all the title stencils to do, well over 100 still left to do. Load of these have fallen apart and I've managed to save all bar 2 that will need a touch up with paint.
Only about 150 decals in total
Decals all done (thank god) another clearcoat of johnsons to protect them and I've just put a wash on now.
So once dry I'll remove most of it then give it a Matt coat and get some pics up
Ok finally finished
Far from perfect but it was a butchered kit to begin with. The decals were a nightmare too falling apart but I saved most of them.
No landing gear as its to be hung of my bat caves ceiling
Added some missiles to it and got it hung from the ceiling